-

-

Monday, March 13, 2017

E-mail 03/13/2017

Really quick, a couple of things I can't believe I forgot to mention last week. First, on Saturday the 4th, the Mitchell family, who Elder Hendricks and I taught, got baptized! The Mom and three of their children!
Unfortunately I was unable to go, but I did get pictures!
Second, it amazes me how people will randomly give us money. When we were doing service at the Salvation Army, I helped a guy unload his truck and with a smile he handed me a twenty then walked away. The only problem was that this twenty had a train outline and "Copyright 1935 by Parker Brothers Inc." I wonder if the bank will exchange it?

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Tuesday we were going through a list of people the branch secretary asked us to confirm their addresses, and met some interesting people. Like one guy, when we were looking for a sister in the branch, he answers the door and asks if we're Latter Day Saints, we told him we were, so he tells us he's not interested and that he's "super gay." We just told him that we were looking for so and so, and he looks at us a little shocked and says, " you mean your not looking for me?" Well he finally tells us that he "doesn't know" that person but later that day, and a little Facebook stalking we confirmed our suspicions, the "super gay" guy is the members husband. So we got a good laugh out of it.
That evening we had dinner with the branch secretary and his wife and went over everything we found and he gave us more names to find.

Wednesday, we had weekly planning, tried a few more members, and had dinner with another member. We had homemade pizza and it was really good! That is except for the onions and peppers on it. When I couldn't subtly scrape them off, I would get all of them in one bite and muscle my way past the gag reflex and swallow. (Shudder)

Thursday, we did our service with the animals, and it's always a ton of fun. I brought my camera and got some great pictures of all of them.

Friday, we had zone Meeting and the subject of the trainings were on working with members and inviting people to church. It was an odd feeling walking in and realizing that I'm the eldest missionary in the zone. No one else from my travel group is in the zone and the next oldest missionaries are 2 transfers younger. I was also reminded that I have been in this zone for almost a year now. Wow! I'm really old.

Saturday, we contacted a lady who had ordered a bible. But before we got to her we were trying to find her place, but with no luck, so we call her again to get directions and after a little bit of confusion her husband told us how to find it. The reason why we couldn't find it on the GPS, on all maps, for some reason, a word is added to the street name. So we finally got it to her, she asked us some questions that we were able to answer then set up a return appointment. Then we did service at the Salvation Army, that's always enjoyable. Afterwards we had a lesson with a former investigator who, unfortunately, refuses to accept the concept that this is only a temporary state and that any wrong, any hardship in this life will be made up for in the next. But we are doing the best we can.

Sunday, when that alarm went off, it was like a ravines wolf wrenching me awake. Have I ever mentioned how much I despise daylight saving?
Well, it is of the devil.
Anyway on a more spiritual note, we had Stake Conference and it was really good. A young man spoke who recently returned from his mission, then the Stake Patriarch spoke, then the newly called Stake Patriarch. Then Sister Brough spoke on repentance and after her was President Brough and he spoke on the best members in the church, that's right the missionaries ;) He was manly talking to the Bishops and Branch Presidents asking them to imagine if every member lived like the missionaries. Before he got into all of that, he asked the RM how long he had been home and he said six months and President said, "And you're not married yet?!" So afterwards when I was talking with people I knew they would ask me how long I had left, and I would tell them, so they would ask what my plans were but almost every single time before I could reply they would say, "from what the big guy said, it's marriage." And with a grin on my face, I just think to myself, “thanks President”.

Well that's my week, that and with some really weird weather, like it was supposed to be raining today but Mother Nature was like "Nope!"
And so it's snowing right now.

Love y'all!
Elder Durrant
Great Kentucky Louisville Mission

Someone from the park sent us these pictures.

Elder Durant is feeding Reddy, our 25 year-old red tail hawk. We really appreciate his service to the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment